Sunday, February 3, 2013

Adding to the PLN




Alright, so I am already connected to...

,,edWeb.net - A professional social network for the education community



I haven't really dug into edWeb.  And after logging in again, I have to say I am a little disappointed that there are very few people from my school district connected to engage with.  But, after my "acceptance" into the Ning world, we will see what connections I will make as I join up with...


 


After reading Chapter 5 of the Web 2.0 text, two things stuck out to me, and both were about the characteristics of educators.  "Teachers are known to do whatever will help their students learn," (85) and "Teachers are very happy to share their favorite websites and their reasons for joining together through social networks and electronic learning communities." (87)  I think more than anything, a teacher who has these characteristics is more likely to influence their students to become collaborative, self-motivated learners than anyone else.  Passion and learning are caught more than they are taught.  We are social creatures.  There needs to be modeling and conversations to deepen learning.  Social networking is a way to energize and take our classroom beyond the concrete walls.  I believe that social networking can build on the inquisitive nature of children to seek out knowledge when shaped in an educational setting.  Perhaps when I revisit this post, I will have even more to share from my Ning experiences...

7 comments:

  1. Wow! You are becoming a very connected educator and really building your PLN! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The circle with the 9 squares in it, what service is that? It doesn't ring a bell. I've never seen that Pro Teacher Community, is that open to everyone? I'll have to check that one out. See you online!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Symbaloo! It's like delicious only it has pictures and is sorted into tabs. I am visual so I like it better than delicious. The ProTeacher community is another resource to check out ;0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy cow, it's so Frenchy-French! Might not be exactly what I was expecting. I'll check it out.

      Delete
  4. I'm a little envious of you, Brandy. You seem to have a good grasp on dozens of tools and use them regularly and adeptly. Good for you! I'm exploring Audacity right now because I have interest/experience in audio production and wanted to see how it compares to others I have used like Cakewalk and GarageBand. So far, I'm very impressed with it, and also with the fact that it is FREE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No envy needed! I feel like I have the basics down for most of them so that, when I am able, I can utilize the tools I am familiar with and know what their capabilities are. I like Audacity, mostly because it's free. I have some experience with Roxio from my ministry work, so free and simple is great. It's just a matter of understanding the files and which to save them to for different uses and applications. You have to love being able to get the right file to work for other technology tools when imported ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you are doing great with your PLN! I'm impressed!! I really enjoy this quote as well Teachers are known to do whatever will help their students learn," (85). It is very true, that we will do whatever to help our students strive and learn more!

    ReplyDelete