Saturday, January 19, 2013

To Cheat or Not To Cheat

Ok, so this will be my first personal blogging experience.  I have been diligent with my school posts, but after watching 2 hours of Lance Armstrong's interview with Oprah, well, I guess I have words floating around in my head that need to get out.

Ironically, just this week I was reading an article in the NEA Today Express about cheating.  You can view the story at .   There is a white paper that is a great read called Cheat or Be Cheated? What We Know About Academic Integrity in Middle & High Schools & What We Can Do About It that is highlighted in the article.  In light of listening to Lance Armstrong's confessions, all I can think of is how his story affects our culture, especially our children.

We now have a shift in ethics when it comes to cheating, and the lines continue to stretch because of ideas of "win at all costs," or expecting the best grades instead of the most comprehensive learning strategies.  In the white paper, what I think hurts by brain and heart the most is that "knowing that cheating is wrong does not deter the behavior."  And, "students may think differently about cheating depending on the motive."

I tutor students, and they have shared with me that they have cheated and most of their friends cheat.  They know it's wrong, but they continue doing it because they are looking for a grade.  They don't feel that their learning is valued, all they want is the best grade to get to the next best class.

So, in light of the many celebrities and heroes in our world that are looked up to for their successes, what does it say to our children that their success was because they cheated.  I am not saying that Lance wasn't a good athlete, but as I posted on Facebook, I am not surprised, nor should anyone else be, otherwise you would be lying to yourself. This man accomplished the impossible; the operative word is impossible.  The culture of racing was doping.  This wasn't a secret, and so many people were willing to sacrifice their integrity for a win. 

How many times do we need to cheat ourselves and the world around us?  From presidents, to baseball players, to Olympians, to cyclists... their cheating makes an impression on our world.  And, not a good one.

My hope is that I can continue to share with my children and students that what they know and who they are is more important than any grade at school or win on the field.  We are all uniquely made and have gifts we have to develop through responsible, respectful, compassionate, ethical, hard work.  It is only through overcoming struggle that we are able to learn.  I fear for those who don't get that message, and I fear for the future of our world if we have cheating students growing into adults who are responsible for the care of each other and our world.

As for Mr. Armstrong, he cheated.  He ruined his career and reputation, yet you can't take away the hope he has provided to those with cancer.  No one is perfect or invincible.  My hope for him is that he can heal and be the man God intends him to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment