Monday, January 14, 2013

Starting Up Again...


Alright, so I have revisited and revamped this glorious world of blogging.  I truly do feel as though I just jumped into a river with a strong undertow now that I have joined, what feels like, every social media or PLN out there, including Google Reader and Google+ which seem gather up a few of those in one place.


  Just when I thought I was making a big splash getting on  and joining up with  I have to go do "the twitter" and more Google.  I feel like my head is going to explode with all the resources out there!  Thank goodness for ; I have been able to quickly mark so many sites that I have been using for work and school.


In my late night deliriousness, one line from  has begun to slow my mind down...  "The point isn't the number of tools or where they exist now, but that in the future, students (with teacher guidance) will be able to find and use the kinds of tools that fit their learning styles." (15)

Wow, I keep gathering tools, but I know the ones I like and go to require few steps.  I like apps and sites that don't require logging in, have a button I can put on my toolbar, have another button to track it, like it or pin it so that I can have a "library" of resources to go back to when I need specific ideas.  I don't know that I care for the blogging so much, except for it has been a good way to present ideas and work that we do in class.  Well, let me rephrase.  I don't care much for my own blogging, but I do enjoy looking at others' sites for inspiration.

So, I guess having said that, I should share that I have been inspired by a couple of blogs.  Of course, one led me to the other.  I first found  on Pinterest.  She has a fabulous blog about integrating technology into the classroom with their ipad 1-1 initiative.  This is where I was introduced to , a site for creating QR codes - you know, those little square dotty things that are similar to UPC codes but have a lot more function.  You can use your phone or ipad to snap a picture of the QR code and you are linked to pretty much any digital resource.  This blog led me to TechChef4U.  If you need ipad app ideas, this is a MUST to visit!


As it is repeatedly said in , I am "Jumping In!"  I am also drawn to the idea that I am "creating your (my) own learning path here, and little about this has a decidedly linear, step-by-step feel." (55)  Maybe it's my analytical side that is screaming for a less messy route to learning.  But, ultimately I know I am on a journey of discovery, not only for resources but for ways to share the joy of learning new things!  I have already found many tools that have taken me "to a whole new level of thinking about your (my) field." (57)


Happy blogging!

4 comments:

  1. Brandy, thanks for all the tips and links! I have never used QR codes before Can you use them in the classroom somehow? Or what exactly are they used for? I love Pinterest as well, and TPT! I wish I could think of great/cute lesson plans to post and offer up to other teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. QR's are so awesome! There are so many ways students can utilize them. They are especially great if you have ipads or allow students to use their own device. You download a QR reader app and take a picture of the QR. You are directed to whatever it is linked to, whether it is a document, site, movie, etc. They are highlighted on MathyCathy's website for math uses, but can be adapted for other subjects. You can use them on your communications to students and parent to link to your website or tools you are using in the classroom. I have been having fun just making them on Unitag to practice linking to my blog and classroom website. I first saw and used them in an educational way at the Science Center. Many of the stations have QR codes that link to fun facts, additional information, and even answers to questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the QR code idea! I used it this week on my parent note. I've been trying to figure out what else I can use them for. We are creating websites through Publisher for the 13 Colonies in social studies and I'm hoping that I can create QR codes for them when they are finished. Who knew it was so easy?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! I can't help but share the things I get excited about. The QR's would be awesome to embed additional links to videos, maps and sites that support the work they are putting into their websites.

      Delete