Monday, September 17, 2012

Digital Storytelling Process

Wow, digital storytelling has many more options that I originally thought!  I have used presentation tools such as Power Point and Roxio, yet I haven't thought of the process as digital storytelling.

I have really been challenged by this process because it has more than two dimensions.  Story telling traditionally has words and pictures with a reader/storyteller.  But, when you add in the many digital resources available it becomes a multi-dimensional presentation that can include text, music, voice/audio, pictures, and video that can deeply influence the mood and setting.

With the larger amount of options I have felt overwhelmed with how to focus and narrow down the ideas I have to share.  With a brain that wants to see and do everything at one time, I have found that working backwards in my head has helped, even though eventually I have to follow the steps for storytelling/writing presented.

The best part is that I have been able to learn another aspect of how to teach a big concept by breaking it down into parts and processes.  As a math teacher, I teach in sequences and steps and processes with rules to follow, and creating this story has helped me see even more how math and reading/writing/literacy are connected.

1 comment:

  1. I had a lot of thoughts going on inside my head about this story too. I'm writing about my trip to Changua but there is so much to tell. Deciding what to write about and what to skip was a challenge. I think it will come together well.

    ReplyDelete