Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Technology Opportunities

After reading through chapter 4 & 5, there was one concept that really stood out to me... TIME.  Whether it be teaching writing using technology, implementing Big6 problem solving, ensuring internet safety, or incorporating copyright & fair use instruction, it takes more time initially than traditionally teaching.  Using digital resources to enhance learning brings with it more opportunities to learn and be challenged, both as a teacher and student.  The time spent including and educating about digital resources is an all encompassing learning opportunity... new ways of learning and strategizing are utilized, while students are becoming "college and career ready" as we push toward meeting Common Core goals.


What opportunities for sharing through technology are being used among teachers in your district?
In the district I am currently working for, Moodle is used for teacher websites, professional development, assessment collaboration and technology education.  I don't think it is being utilized by staff to its fullest potential.  I am not sure if this is because of the need for training or willingness to make it a priority.  Teachers have the ability to create their own website and include all the bells and whistles we have been working on, like web 2.0's.  We also have Facebook for announcements and community participation.

 
In your favorite professional organizations?
I am sure the most appropriate answer for this would be BlackBoard.  I love that MoBap has an online program that I can access from anywhere yet still have some connection to virtual conversation and collaboration with peers through its sharing technology.  But I have to say, as a sports mom, I have been thrilled with a program called GameChanger.  I guess you can call it an online professional organization.  I use this program to keep stats for baseball and it has a great feature that allows families to follow the feed, connect to and comment on Facebook or Twitter, embed widgets into the team website, and more.

How are they being used among students?
Students and families are able to view so much information regarding schools, policies, lunch info and more on the website and through Moodle.  Students can log in to Moodle to view teacher webpages, look for daily assignments and connect to approved and recommended links.  It is a wonderful opportunity for students to stay connected in a safe environment.  My own children have utilized this resource to find links for educational 'fun' and technology homework on sites like Kerpoof and Club Penguin.

1 comment:

  1. Mrs. A,

    I have to agree I love blackboard! Without blackboard I'wouldnt be working on my masters right now! However, when I first started classes I was frustrated trying to figure it out. So the teachers at your school may not be using moodle to the fullest bc they are frustrated with trying it figure it out.

    ReplyDelete