Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Literacy Integration or Immersion?

Having a math background, it may seem as though including literacy is the extra worksheet or the challenge question at the end of a section.  When truly, everything we teach, whether intended or not, has an aspect of literacy.

 
In the initial video in the course, I so enjoyed the idea that literacy can be defined in different ways and in different contexts.  I often hear about being "computer" or "technology" literate.  Or back in the day, my mother was "keypunch literate."  (I love dating myself and my wisdom, and I don't really feel that old ;0)  The word takes on more meaning and has much depth beyond just reading and writing.  How many ways can you think of yourself being literate?


For example, just today I was tutoring a student in pre-algebra and we were covering math properties.  Whenever we look at words that we are supposed to translate into math, I take them through the process of understanding the word first.  For the word 'commutative,' we first had to talk about the pronunciation.  We then looked at the root word and discussed what 'commute' meant.  When she didn't know, I directed her to a resource that would help her find its meaning.  Then I had her give me an example of the word commute by using it in a sentence.  We then drew pictures around numbers to associate the numbers with the word and its meaning - they can move and still give the same answer.  We took the example and translated it one more time... to variables.  So, we went from words, to pictures, to numbers, to letters - full circle!  And then, we went through the same process to connect to the word 'associative!'

And to add to that, we explored the online resources that support her textook (something I think too many teachers overlook).  I showed her how to search for her book, and she was able to save the link to her homepage on her ipad.  We highlighted some of the tools I wanted her to be aware of, including the video tutorials and section quizzes for extra practice.  I also showed her mother so that she was aware of the tool and could be a resource in promoting extra practice throughout the week.  I am a big fan of video tutorials because it is one more way that students can seek out knowledge if they are struggling or need reinforcement or reminders.  So, we also explored technology literacy to support her math instruction and learning!
 
I can't say that there's one right activity or way of ensuring literacy in the classroom, because a classroom needs to be immersed in literacy regardless of content area.  All classrooms can include strategies such as organizers, text marking, pictures, peer review, paired reading, note-taking strategies, audio & visual cues, and more!  As educators, we all need to provide depth to the language we use, whether in letters or symbols.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, I really enjoyed reading your post. I loved your idea of breaking down the understanding of the "communitive". I struggled with math all through school and if I had a teacher who would have used more visuals and deeper explanations it would have made it easier for me.
    Also, your comment of what is literacy. I find myself to be literate I'm crochet. Kind of silly but it is a language all it's own.

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, everything has its own language! It makes me sad to hear from so many people that they didn't like or get math. It really is about understanding the words in new and more abstract ways. Just like with any subject, you have to be able to connect to foundational and previous skills to fully understand what's next or new concepts. It's like giving a vocabulary test without giving meaning and examples first; it becomes a frustration instead of a learning experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last weekend on 60 minutes they had the creator of KHAN Academy discussing his online tutorial curriculum. I found it fascinating how individual students progress through math curriculum by just listening to a voice and seeing the problem displayed step by step. I think technology gives diverse learners the ability to interact with text in ways that meet their needs. You're right literacy can take many forms in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is interesting what being literate means in different content areas. I think a lot of teachers are teaching literacy but they don't realize they are doing it. I don't know how successful a teacher can be if they are not addressing literacy within their content area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Literacy is in the eyes of the beholder, right? We all have different ideas and preconceptions of what literacy is. But we all know is means understanding, and comprehending. Being 'literate' used to refer to simply reading and writing when I was growing up. The news would mention 'literacy rates' and we all knew what they meant. That makes me old too, I fear! lol I think the broadness of the term shows that we as an education community have expanded our perception of what learning really means.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make an excellent point when you discussed all of the different ways in which someone can be literate! When someone says the word "literate", the first thing that pops into my (and probably many people's)heads is reading and writing. However, like you said, I do find myself and other using the term to refer to many other things as well, such as "computer illiterate" as you had mentioned. Now I see literacy more as being able to "read and write" in whatever subject area the current focus is on. For example, in math, literacy includes being able to read and write math equations and symbols. In technology, it can include reading and writing codes and symbols, etc. The scope of literacy, especially as far as teachers are concerned, has always been there is some manner in every subject area, however we may not have always recognized and focused on it.

    ReplyDelete